But I do love to cook...when I have time...when I make the time...and I especially love these super sweet helpers...
Last night we made Potato Soup and Alex and Emily were very eager to help me peel and cut the potatoes and put them in the pot...
Alex even helped me clean up! He didn't want to touch the potato peels, so he used a pair of gloves to scoop them out of the sink!
And while Emily helped cut the potatoes...notice what Alex was doing instead...
{...filling the glove with water...good grief!}
I always try to make a conscious effort to involve them when I'm cooking...because even though it's not as often as I'd like...it's nice to make the most of the times that it does happen! It's so much fun!
I think it turned out really good! I've made potato soup before...but it's been awhile...and even though the weather's getting warmer...it was a little chilly and it sounded good! I also have some yummy leftovers for the next couple of days when it's rainy and crummy out! Perfect!
And as proud as I am of myself for making a hearty dinner...and of the kids for being such wonderful sweet helpers...they had macaroni and cheese for dinner instead!
{I said they loved to help make it...not eat it! Oh well... Emily informed me that she hates potatoes! Um..You like mashed potatoes...I told her...and french fries... go figure...}
Emily ♥'s mac 'n cheese!
{look closely...she found a heart on her spoon after she ate a bite!}
And hopefully they'll always love helping me cook...and someday {soon} they'll enjoy eating more of it too! It's also really nice when they can help themselves when my hands are tied on the computer doing other important things... and they're able to make their own mac 'n cheese and hot dogs and pbj or waffles or toast... the simple things. It helps me out tons and it also helps them appreciate the little things that I do all the time...and I think they like the independence... well...sometimes!
After dinner Emily tried her 3D bubbles she got for her birthday...it was really windy...so the bubbles were blowing away and popping before she could really get the true effect...but she still looked cute!
Potato Soup
{courtesy of Recipezaar.com}
6-8 medium potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
6 cups milk {I used 3 cups milk and 3 cups half & half}
2 tsps chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
1. Peel, cube, boil, drain and 'mush' potatoes to consistency you like
2. In separate pan, melt butter, add flour and cook while stirring for about a minute
3. Add half the milk and stir until lumps are out of flour mixture
4. Add remaining milk and on med-high heat, heat to boil
5. Stir almost constantly or it will scorch
6. After boiling, turn heat off and add remaining ingredients
I did not add the cheese to the soup pot...instead I added sour cream, shredded cheese and crumbled bacon to my own bowl for 'baked' potato soup...and I thought it was delicious!
So what are you having for dinner tonight? How do you meal plan? {help!}















Yum, yum...oh how I love potato soup. I love how you let them help you, I need to be better about that. Isn't it nice to be able to get outside...we did that yesterday! Tonight we may be having pizza.
ReplyDeleteI have a bag of pototoes waiting to be turned into something! I'm thinking potato soup may be in on our menu later this week! It looks so yummy, but I've never made it before! Thanks for sharing:)
ReplyDeleteWe love potato soup also,,, esp. on a cold night! The bubbles look like so much fun. What a cool b-day present... the kids are cute as always! Have a great spring day.
ReplyDeleteOH, I need to make that! Looks so yummy and your assistants are soo adorable!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so trying this recipe! That looked so good! And what adorable little helpers you had! :)
ReplyDeleteLove potato soup! :) Looks like you all had a good time making it, too. And how sweet that darling Emily found a heart on her spoon! :)
ReplyDeleteSo yummy! I love potato soup-and that is similar to how I make it, too!
ReplyDeleteLove how you had little helpers!!!
Thanks for posting the recipe too. Loved all the pictures. So cute and I did see the heart. Adorable.
ReplyDeletethat soup looks really tasty! I love to cook, but I'm like you; I hate grocery shopping! I wish the ingredients would just magically appear in my pantry.
ReplyDeleteI love to cook and meal plan, but I'm a real list maker...love jottin' down ideas and such.
ReplyDeleteUm yep...gotta scoop the potato skins out of the sink for sure. I once put them down the disposal...MISTAKE! It clogged the sink and what a mess!
3D bubbles sound like a fun time. I'll have to find some!! Happy Friday :)