Sunday, December 18, 2011

{Ice}ing

The holidays approach quicker and quicker every year...it's always a time when I have so many things I want to do...crafts to make...sweets to bake...festivities to attend...and lists to check off...

And in the end...only a handful of those things in my mind actually play out in reality.  But stressing through it always happens...as much as I try to remember not to sweat the small things...

Like letting the house look like a tornado blew through it while trying to keep the more important things in check...

Like having a junk day with our family in our jammies watching movies and eating junk food!

Like skipping a nap that I really wanted to take and instead taking Alex and Emily and her friend ice-skating with Santa {while Dan and Elizabeth napped instead...guess somebody had to fulfill that job!}






I had a lot of fun ice-skating too...until the toe of my skates stuck in the ice instead of effortlessly gliding... and I gracefully fell hard on my kneecaps!  I seriously thought I was going to need a stretcher to make it off the ice!  Ouch!  But Alex and I laughed!  And kept on going!  He actually loved falling...ha! 





Like pushing aside one mess to make room for another one...especially when it comes to icing cookies!  That is one thing we always make time for during this crazy time of year!




{my half may already be gone...but who's counting?!  ...thankfully the kids were smart enough to set aside enough cookies to leave Santa on Christmas Eve!  They know me too well!  ha!}


Like skipping putting my feet up and watching tv by the fireplace and instead consoling a fussy Ellie by getting in the car and driving around to let her sleep it off...and enjoying some beautiful Christmas lights with the kids in the process!

It's hard not to get caught up in the busy hustle and bustle of the holidays...but I am so thankful for the moments and traditions that happen during this time of year! 

And a moment I don't ever want to forget:

Me:  Let's go, we need to go to the grocery store.
Emily:  I want to stay here. 
Me:  With who?  {forgetting that Dan was not home because he had to work...on a Sunday...boo!  Technical difficulties... anyway...}
Emily:  thinking... With Jesus.
Me:  tickled...Jesus is going with us!

I love her!  I love that God does use those hurried, busy moments when my only thoughts are just to get everyone out the door!  It made me stop and laugh and relax and smile.  And know that Jesus was most definitely going along for the ride...
...and that is the icing on the cake cookie!

May we all take time to stop and reflect on the true meaning of this holiday season!

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. I agree that we all try not to sweat the small stuff but I know it can be hard. Love the ice skating pictures...but sorry about your knees. Those cookies really turned out well...they look yummy. We decorated with our neighbors and it was a lot of fun. Have a Merry week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...so sweet! I just love Emily. I think Layla and Emily would be great buds!

    I really want to go ice skating. Can you believe I have never been?!?

    As usual, I love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love that little conversation! I need to write down more of the cute stuff my kiddos say! And we have been pushing aside messes to make more messes in our house all week...my kitchen is a disaster right now! I love all the ice skating pics! My boys have never been before and I've only been maybe four times my whole life:)

    ReplyDelete