Tuesday, January 19, 2010

{Minor} Manor Makeover

If there is one thing you can count on at Martin Manor...it's that I cannot leave things alone!  While the laundry is piling up...I can spend hours moving furniture, rugs, pillows and pictures from one room to the next...and then back again...I know my priorities are not where they need to be...!  {It drives Dan a little crazy...but he used to make it a game when he came home from work to see if he could find what was different!}  I just like to know how something will look somewhere else...and I won't rest until I see for myself!

Can you spot the {differences} in these rooms?

The Family Room
{New rug from Target on sale and lamps from TJ Maxx}

{A few of my favorite books...
The Friday Night Knitting Club, although I haven't finished reading it...it reminds me of my love of knitting and the nights I used to get together with some good friends!
HEP Remembered...a great  memory of Coach Terry Hoeppner, who was a close member of Dan's family, but whom we lost to brain cancer over two years ago...such an inspiration to so many!
Breathe...something I need to be reminded to stop and do more often and remember to keep God as my focus...something I need lots of work on!}

The Sun Room
{Minor rearrangement of furniture and a new storage trunk...for the extra junk toys Santa brought}

{New pillows on sale at Target and some accessories I rescued from the basement}

{New entry table...from Hobby Lobby on sale...I love distressed furniture that looks as though it's already had a good life!  And picture frame and lamp, both on sale from Hobby Lobby...don't you love that place!  Little bird from Target...love that place too...no better place to grab a Starbucks, shop and run into good friends..guaranteed!}

{Hung new pictures on the wall from frames I rescued from the basement..."A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words Nails!"  I change the arrangement of pictures so often...do not look at all the holes I've created behind the frames...ahem...
Moved rug that used to be in the family room at one point...to dining room...the rug that was in the dining room is now in our bedroom...see where I'm going with this!}

{Little kitty we rescued from the garden nursery this past summer...my new sidekick...along with Skipper!}
I usually add or rearrange things this time of year because we're stuck inside through the cold months...and after the holidays!  Just a few minor changes...until next time!  It's definitely not important to me to have lots of things or keep my house neat and tidy {especially since it usually isn't!}...but I find joy in decorating in a way that brings me comfort and good thoughts and memories.  That is why I have so many photos on the walls and any place I can find a spot for them...I love taking pictures and I love the feeling each photo brings me whether it's where we went on vacation, or to see how much the kids have changed from season to season, or just to get a smile from seeing their smiling faces!   You can't tell from these photos...but the picture frame/hooks above the entry table is of Alex when we first moved into our house sitting on the brick wall by our basement walkout...he was about 15 months old with the cubbiest cheeks around...I love seeing it every day!

{Do you move things around at your home often...or is that just me?}

14 comments:

  1. I am always tweeking! I love what you added, and changed...and Hobby Lobby? LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home looks so beautiful!

    I have a spring/summer and a fall/winter look in my living room. I move the furniture around to their seasonal spots and change up the accessories a bit.

    Eventually I'd like to have a fall/winter slipcover, although I could put darker pillows on the couch instead. It'd be cheaper anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is beautiful! I love all the frame displays and that entry table from Hobby Lobby is just FABulous! I am a Hobby Lobby/Target lover too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl everything looks FAB! I was just thinking that I never rearrange anything. I wanted to over break but hubs said no...I still want to. The piece I want to move is really heavy though or I would do it myself:)
    Great job. love all the new accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I move in??? ;) I LOVE your decorating style! And Target is my absolute favorite store!!!! : )

    I am constantly moving things around too haha, and it's always at the most random time of day (when dinner is boiling over on the stove)! You're not the only one ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lamps and rug what lovely accessories to add to your family room. What a gorgeous room that is as well. This is indeed a great time of year to redecorate. After I get everything ready for Rebecca's Birthday tomorrow I will get cracking on my own house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house is amazing...I would give anythign to have that comfy cozy look but I do not dare have stuff out yet with a 15 month old grabbing and getting into everything so I settle for just having toys picked up now...:)

    By the way...I'm a BIG fan of the Friday Night Knitting Club..I'm currently reading Knit two..her second book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I come over? I don't rearrange things as often as I should because it really does add something to your home, spices things up. Your home is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great Carrie! Can you come do my house?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have what I've been calling "the seven year itch" at my house! It feels like everything has been the same in our house for so long that I want to change stuff up! I need help though...you want to come over and help me?!? I have been thinking of new things to do in my bedroom, living room, and breakfast nook! But I don't think anything is going to happen for a while:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a beautiful home!!! I use to shop at Target and TJ all the time... sadly... the ole budget doesn't allow it anymore... I am impressed with your design skills. My house looks BORING compared to yours ;) What a talent you have.... Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so love your house!!

    I can't leave things alone at my house...I am always changing something. I think I just get bored easily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want YOUR house!!! I love your style... so unique and gorgeous!!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. You definitely have some great style! How gorgeous you have made your home! I love it all.

    I definitely love to change things up! It keeps it exciting and it's so fun!

    Thanks for your sweet comment about my pillows! Made my day! : )

    ReplyDelete